Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Catching Up

So 2015 is already 2 weeks old and I haven't posted anything since Thanksgiving.  I would claim a busy schedule as the reason but I am single... no kids... and while I do have 2 callings in my ward they don't consume near enough time for me to truly blame them.  Sadly enough I haven't posted simply because my life is not that exciting.  No kids means minimal surprises and far fewer photos to take.  Regardless of the "simple" life I live I will catch the select few who read my blog up with my life over the past few months.  And just in case you are tempted to not read on, or are starting to get sleepy eyed from this introduction... I do have pictures at the end. 

So after returning to the Chicago area after Thanksgiving I pretty much fell into my normal routine of go to work, go home, go to work, go home.  Mix in an occasional scout meeting and teaching primary on Sunday and the month flew by very quickly.  I was invited to an ice skating competition in Michigan with Seth and his family.  His daughter is on a synchronized ice skating competition team and really enjoying it.  I went along and thought I was playing the cool Cousin by securing rooms at a great rate.  Unfortunately the rooms only had one bed in them.  So two rooms, two beds total, 3 adults and 3 kids.  For those who like math that left us about 2 beds short.  Because the hotel was filled with Ice Skating teams there were no rollaway beds available either.  So Seth and his son slept on the floor, the girls all shared a bed, and I had a bed to myself (I did try to talk Seth into taking it with his son but he insisted on the floor).  Next time I play the cool cousin I will have to double check the room types offered!  The competition was enjoyable to watch, albeit short, but more enjoyable than the competition was the company.  Being alone on the weekends can be, well, lonely.  I am definitely grateful for a Cousin who is close by and willing to involve me in his family fun. 

Christmas came and went, I worked the day shift then spent the evening with Seth.  Thanks to everyone who sent me cards and gifts and happy thoughts on that special day.  And before you get to feeling bad for me having to work on Christmas, I did choose to do so.  I am the boss after all, so I can't blame anyone else.  My staff all have kids and were appreciative of my covering so they could celebrate with their families the holiday.  The guests on Christmas day are all nice and it is really not a bad day to work, if you have to work.

After Christmas came New Years.  Again I worked.  No biggie, I stopped staying awake till midnight when I discovered I enjoy sleeping.  There was a ton of work to do to close out 2014 and get 2015 up and running.  As quiet a month as December was for me, January has been the complete opposite.  For only being two weeks old I have gone through all of the following: new primary class with struggles for me adapting to a different age group and a different co-teacher whose techniques frustrated me.  An attack of the dreaded Flu virus going around (102+ fever, vomiting, joints aching, etc etc etc), GM Conference in Chicago (I know, long distance to travel, but I had to stay at the hotel in downtown Chicago so it kind of felt like a trip), and a real trip a day after the conference to Oregon.  To see a Woman and her kids. 

For those who may not have heard, or simply didn't believe it was possible for me to meet someone who could put up with my personality, her name is Bethany.  She is wonderful woman who has been through far too many trials.  She has two beautiful children and two awful and ugly Ex husbands. I say that, but I haven't met them so they may not be ugly, at least on the outside, inside I have no doubt their "spiritual beauty" is seriously lacking.  I am, admittedly, biased.  Bethany plays the harp, she is a Red Sox fan, and she seems to think I am funny!  All wonderful traits, I know, but more importantly she has a strong testimony of the Church in spite of (or perhaps because of) what she has been through and she truly cares for her children.  I flew into Portland on Friday and was able to spend the next few days with her and her kids getting to know them all better.  Bethany and I went to see Into the Woods (just as good the second time for me as it was the first), we all went to the Beach and a lighthouse (well, 2 lighthouses but one was under renovation and covered up), went to a bounce on it (might have the wrong name, but if you have kids you know what I am talking about), went swimming, went to Church, and otherwise just hung out at her house.  There were several of her friends who had to see me.  I think they were making sure I wasn't a jerk and, according to Bethany, I passed their inspections. The trip was very enjoyable for me and Bethany had a wonderful time as well.  The following pictures were taken on Sunday.  I was a bit silly and forgot my camera when we went to the beach and lighthouses.  Bethany, I apologize for posting a couple of the pictures you didn't want me to post, but I can't help it.  I want to show you off. ;)




Melanie on the left, Bethany on the right (Melanie is one of her friends who had to meet me)


Bethany's son. 


When Bethany went to play her harp for me her son decided he wanted to play as well. 


Bethany's daughter. 

It took a little longer than usual for her to warm up to me, but by the end of my visit we were good friends.
Bethany took this picture on Saturday night.  When she asked her daughter what her favorite part of the day was, she said it was the time we spent drawing together.  The beach, lighthouse, swimming all lost out to a little bit of special time together.  One on One time with children is far more important than taking them to fun places or buying them lots of gifts. 


Thank you Bethany for sharing your weekend and family with me!  It was too short, but definitely worthwhile.  For anyone of the very select few who read my blog that want to know the names of the children, please give me a call and I will share them.  For very legitimate reasons I will not be posting their names on my blog.

And now I am all caught up.  Later this month I go to Savannah, GA for another business meeting, but the next two weeks should be semi normal for me.  Which basically means I will be going to work and going home and going to work and going home.  And, if history is any indicator, I will probably come down with a head cold this week.  In fact, it already seems to be starting.  Lucky me.



 

12 comments:

  1. Even if the bed situation went a little wonky, Alyssa still really enjoyed having you come see her compete in Michigan. Most of the girls have a whole cheering section at every competition and Alyssa usually has to borrow other people's family members so it was fun for her to have someone there to see her. Seth said you might join us this weekend for the competition in Chicago as well? No pressure though, I promise.

    Seth told me that things went well in Oregon, so I was excited to hear more. Thanks for sharing. Cute kiddos, and I would love to see you and Bethany in the same picture. That is your assignment for your next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany and I share an aversion to having our pictures taken. There were a couple that had both of us in them... the type of pictures you look at and laugh at but never post publicly. Yes Julie, I am planning on joining you all in Chicago. I might even remember to bring my camera this time, but I make no promises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't just me telling you that my friends approved -- you got to read a couple text messages confirming that. Thanks again for coming and now you need to start staying healthy so you can come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am giving up on staying healthy this year... 4 days healthy out of 16 this year is not a good percentage. Thankfully those four days were during my trip to Oregon or your friends may not have been as kind with regards to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more try at commenting. This was so fun to see - especially the pictures - and then everything I said in my previous comment went into cyber space. I don't like that. I echo Bethany re. staying healthy (by the way, Bethany, fun to finally meet you, if only by photo blog.) Keep up the posts. Love you, Son. (Oh, and did I mention what an amazing harp that looks like? I believe I've heard the music it puts out, haven't I? Gifted harpist!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too. I have heard absolutely wonderful things about you and have been very impressed by your photography skills. Keep up the art and maybe you could start some harp lessons in all your spare time!

      Delete
  6. What?? Why didn't Seth tell me? And now I need the details--how did you meet, etc.
    Congratulations! Hope we can meet her soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute photos are easy to take when you have cute subjects to point the camera at! Yes Mom, you did hear her music. The Harp CD I shared with you at Thanksgiving is hers. And the Harp is truly a work of art and the story behind it is just as special. And Ann, I will work on another post to update you on Bethany. Most of my immediate family know the story already, but there are enough of us I suppose it wouldn't hurt to share a little information here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot to tell everyone that Melanie is holding the inspection paperwork she had compiled in order to properly check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you have reached double digits on comments! You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray!! My first double digit commented blog!

    ReplyDelete