Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Tis The Season

Now that Thanksgiving is done and December is approaching the midway point I can blog about what is my favorite holiday of all.  There are many things about Christmas that make the holiday special to me.  The focus of this post will be on music.

I love Christmas music.  Not the silly ones we would sing as kids like "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" or "Here comes Santa Clause".  No, the Christmas songs that I love are the more "traditional" songs.  Songs like "Silent Night", "Little Drummer Boy" and "Oh Come All Ye Faithful".

It seems that, at this time of year, more people try to be nice.  More people try to lend a helping hand.  More people turn their thoughts to feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and spending time with family and loved ones.  Why is that?  What is it that can take a society and shift its values, even if only for a few weeks?  I believe it has to do with the music.  No other Holiday is so tied to music.  Certainly there are patriotic songs around the 4th of July or some love songs around Valentines Day (hate this holiday by the way) but these are nowhere near as openly played or enjoyed.  Is it any wonder that, after listening to music that encourages people to contemplate the birth of the Savior, people are... well... nicer?

And so, if you are struggling to find a little Christmas Cheer, feeling down or a little "off" this year... try listening to the music.  The REAL music of Christmas.  Listen to the messages inside, feel the spirit that will follow, and let your focus shift. 

I really do love Christmas Music.


If I can figure out how to do it, I will get a music player gadget attached and load some of my favorite songs on it. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree - it is definitely the music that helps bring the spirit of Christmas into our lives. I hope it always stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years I hated Christmas music because you had to weed through so much junk to get to the good stuff, but my kids love it so I have learned to laugh with them at the silly stuff and savor the good stuff when it comes on. O Holy Night is one of my all time favorite songs, Christmas or otherwise. I have many favorites though. I think I did a top ten once upon a time in Blogland. Good luck getting a playlist up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your writing Dan! I agree O Holy Night is a favorite, and I too love listening to my kids sing. Christmas is so fun, I guess that is why they start dragging everything out in July! One year, the stores are never going to put it away I fear!

    ReplyDelete