Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanksgiving

One of the neat things about working in a variety of hotels over the past decade has been seeing the different traditions in place in each area.  In Sedona they had a pumpkin carving competition every year and really got into it, in Branson we decorated a Christmas tree with ornaments donated by the local performing groups, and here in Pickwick TN they have a big pot luck style meal in place of the monthly staff meeting (I will post a picture of this at the end).  While shopping for a few odds and ends to complement the meal I couldn't help but notice the proliferation of Christmas décor/items for sale and the relative lack of Thanksgiving anything.  And so I have decided to give Thanksgiving a bit of time this year on my blog.  It is a unique holiday, one where the gifts that are shared have more to do with time and talents than money.

I have distinct memories of Thanksgiving as a child.  As I have thought back on these memories one thing stands out in my mind... while I know we had tons of food, and really good food at that (lots of exceptional cooks on all sides of my family!), I remember more the time spent with people.  I remember sitting around the pool table at Grandma/Grandpa Loveridge's home.  I remember playing with my Hansen cousins.  I remember long drives with my Brothers, and later my Sisters although the drives were not very long at that point in my memory for some reason.  The memories that are the strongest involve people.  Correction... they include family.  Perhaps this is a part of why we see so little of Thanksgiving in the stores nowadays.  Somewhere in the not so distant past the family unit has become unpopular (just take a look at the current T.V. programs available if you think this isn't true).  And yet, to me, Family is more important now than ever before.

And so, if I had to list one thing I was Thankful for at this time of year it has to be my Family.  I am blessed with a Mother and a Father who love each other and, while not perfect, do a pretty good job of caring for each and every one of their children.  I have 3 wonderful Brothers and 2 very special Sisters.  I have Sisters-in-law, a Brother-in-law, Nieces and Nephews, Cousins and Second Cousins.   Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and some friends that while not "blood" related deserve to be included as a part of my Family.  When I look at them all I have to admit I am blessed. 

And so, this Thanksgiving when I am at work allowing my employees to spend time with their families, I want everyone in my family to know how thankful I am for you.  Each and every one.  The picture below includes all of my staff save for two who couldn't make it.  As you can see on the table, the food portion of Thanksgiving is well handled here in the South.  I will avoid commenting overly on the family portion save to say this: it is broken.  There isn't a single person in this photo who can say their family is happy together.  I see this more and more.  Divorce, infidelity, perversion, death, abuse...  the list goes on and on... do not under value your own family unit and its importance.  If you are not actively working towards improving your own families relations, they can only be deteriorating.  I could go on with my "advice" but I think I am getting a bit too preachy and that wasn't the purpose of this, so instead I will finish the post with the promised picture and my wishes for everyone to have a very happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. Very well put, son. We will miss having you with us, but love that you are able to give Thanksgiving to your staff. It's fun seeing the photo. And that meal looks like it was wonderful. Only thing I have to ask is, what do you mean by "while not perfect"????? I thought we were always perfect in every way (hahaha). Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about... you are as perfect a Mom as any son could every hope for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a thoughtful post...and that's what I love about Thanksgiving too. It's not about "stuff" - it's about people and memories and love. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awh...too sweet. You are as perfect a son as any Mom could ever hope for. Love you!

    ReplyDelete