Sunday, May 31, 2015

Date Number 3 - additional info

So Bethany pointed out I failed to share one of the key moments from our trip up to Seattle.  I have talked about it with several people already but I have not shared it with everyone in my family who looks at this site so I guess now is better than never.  Be forewarned... neither Bethany nor myself understands why he said what he said (how's that for a teaser?). 


After arriving in Seattle and before the Red Sox game we found ourselves with a little extra time to fill.  There wasn't enough time to go downtown and do the "tourist" thing so instead we found a restaurant close to the hotel named Red Robin.  Yes, the chain, nothing fancy but I have always enjoyed the food and generally have had good service experiences to go along with the food.

Everything began normal enough.  We were take to our table and received our drinks efficiently enough and after a few moments were ready to place our order.  The waiter showed up and began jotting down what each of us wanted.  Upon taking my order (a burger) he asked how I wanted it cooked to which I replied medium.  He then asked if I wanted it a little pink in the middle, or a lot pink because apparently medium means different things to different people.  This is when I had one of my rare moments of romanticism brilliance (is that a phrase?) and I stated it wouldn't matter how it came back to me because I would be eating it across from a beautiful woman and would enjoy it no matter what.  Bethany began to grin that special grin she has when she is both very pleased and slightly embarrassed at the same time and I was about to feel rather proud of myself when the waiter muttered the following statement: "oh, well I am not going to judge you" and he walked away. 

I think my jaw hit the floor, Bethany blinked several times in surprise and the first words out of my mouth was "OUCH!".  We then spent the next several minutes laughing at the absurdity of the comment and I used the phrase far too often over the remainder of the trip (don't judge me... no really.. don't judge me... just please don't judge me).

I did end up tipping the waiter (his service wasn't terrible aside from the comment) and we enjoyed our food but now, whenever I go to Red Robin, I will remember that experience.

So my question for those of you who are hearing about this experience for the first time is this:  what was he trying to say and should I have not tipped him at all?



Thank you once again Bethany for a great 3 day weekend trip.  I enjoyed laughing at the absurd events, cheering on the Red Sox to victory, and snuggling with you (even if your daughter took pleasure jumping in between us each time).  And your cookies were delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant romanticism? Maybe just pure brilliance. Or pure romance. Whatever it was, it was wonderful and although the waiter ruined the moment, it's still a comment I think about daily. You are more than welcome. Thanks for coming and being willing to see me again after seeing me at my road-raging worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh? I just 'published' a brilliant comment and it totally deleted it. I think. Well, you'll just have to use your imagination, I guess, because my memory isn't good enough to repeat it. ...something about blind waiters who definitely must be in the 'male-to-male' gender orientation. And I loved the Bethany 'making a face' photo. Bethany, you have a great sense of humor! Something about the hair monster when we were together last, came out again in that darling photo. Haha. Can't wait to see all of you in a few weeks and share part of Date #4 with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it was just one of those weird moments where you didn't quite hear the person who was talking to you so you just respond with something in hopes that it will fit in the conversation? I don't see his comment making sense in the context otherwise. He probably has no idea that he squashed your grand romantic gesture.

    ReplyDelete